An LPN left her job in LTC last week due to unsafe staffing. I am sure this does not surprise you. However, read on.
- She was scheduled overnight shift 11-7 as the only nurse for the entire facility
- There were only two CNA’s and in excess of 75 residents. I am not telling you the exact number so it is not identifying info.
- A locked down behavioral unit
- A locked down memory care unit
- and TWO skilled nursing halls
- She addressed the staffing issue with the DON and ADON and was told she would have to help the aides with their work and make sure she still got all of her work done as well.
- She left because this was a risk to her license and her emotional health. Since quitting she has found out the DON reported her to the state for shift abandonment.
- She reported off to another nurse who was on the preceding shift and agreed to stay, and did not abandon her shift.
She won’t talk to me publically. I cannot even tell you what state she is in. Because she is terrified of being blackballed and losing her license.
And Chris Christie VETOED a bill for safe LTC Staffing in New Jersey. (<—click there to read about it) Like the owners of these facilities don’t need to be regulated. Like they can even be trusted to pay their employees without state regulation. Like they would even provide a Nurse and 2 CNA’s if they could even possibly get away with one untrained staff member they could pay minimum wage.
Want to hear my theory? I bet the Director Of Nursing was told that she MUST report this nurse to the Board of Nursing to keep her job. She knew how bad that staffing level was. Nurses do not wish for patients to be neglected.
When are you getting on board with us to help change these dangerous practices? Click HERE to join SMYS For Change and become part of the solution. Your Grandmother may be the next resident of that LTC facility. Or your uncle who is afflicted with schizophrenia. How good do you think the care is? How can you even hold your head up if you do not get behind your profession to change these egregious practices?
JanieShare this post with friends!
Want More? Click below to follow us!